"organic" is scientific, not dramatic
i have grown to HATE the term "organic" when it is used in the theater. This word is scientific; it means carbon-based or containing living or formally living organisms. However, it has of late been interchangeable with the word "natural." I don't know how and when this happened - I suspect it has something to do with the food industry convincing consumers that "organic" products are less manipulated by man and machine, and therefore more "natural." So all these crazy hippy drama kids who eat this organic food decide to use the word in rehearsal. In this context, it means relying on the instinct of actors to carry a scene. Rather than blocking them specifically, a director asks that they trust their impulses and move accordingly. In this way, the interaction is more natural and truthful. IT IS NOT MORE ORGANIC. We do not inject carbon into scenes.
To make sure that I am not stupid, I of course looked the word up and carefully analyzed all definitions. The only ones that come CLOSE to supporting the use of the word in that context are as follows:
10.viewing or explaining something as having a growth and development analogous to that of living organisms: an organic theory of history.
14.Fine Arts. of or pertaining to the shapes or forms in a work of art that are of irregular contour and seem to resemble or suggest forms found in nature.
Out of 15 definitions, 2 relate slightly. However, neither allows that Organic is interchangeable with Natural or Instinctual. Even the specific definition for the arts does not match this usage!!!!!!!!! So all theater types: SHUT UP about things being organic!!!!!!!!!!

1 Comments:
UPDATE YOUR BLOG WOMAN!!! HOW ELSE AM I SUPPOSED TO KEEP UP WITH YOUR CRAZY LIFE!!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home