I'm the not-yet-famous coolest person you know

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Rant on Mumsie

my dear mother is the subject of many of my rants here on blogger. We have not had too many run-ins this summer because I am barely ever home and I think she has given up on fighting with me about everything. At this point, what good will it do? I'm 20 damn years old and I stopped listening to her at about year 2. I even convinced her to let me pierce my ears again - which I have been trying to do for 12 years.

But anyways, I digress

I came home today from a wonderful afternoon with musical theater people who understand and love me. I walk in the door and what movie is my mother watching? Footloose. FOOTLOOSE! She is watching the damn movie on tv. I start singing along to Heaven Help the Man and she shushes me, explaining that no one EVER wants to hear me sing. Then I suggest in my oh-so-cutesy way that we could watch the DVD of the version I directed (which she never saw). She scoffs and shushes me again. I walk away, quite upset, and then I take a shower. When I come back down I say in a non-confrontational, very casual way "I can't believe you are watching this when you had no interest in watching the live show." She says something along the lines of "the shit you do sucks and i have no desire to watch it ever."

This would even be better if she had never seen the movie before. Maybe she didn't know she would have enjoyed my play. But she has seen this movie NUMEROUS times - how do you think i was introduced to it? She has been in love with it since it came out. The soundtrack was a popular one in my house when I was a child.

So yeah. Her daughter directed a college production as a freshman of one of her favorite movies - and she did not watch it. She continues to watch the film yet still refuses to watch the DVD of my production. She won't let me sing the songs or even talk about the memories from the show.

15 days till i move HOME - aka Chapel Hill. And I'll never move back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home