I'm the not-yet-famous coolest person you know

Friday, December 02, 2005

Waiting for, like, Godot!

Beckett's Waiting for Godot is hailed as one of the greatest plays of the century, the beginning of absurdism, a keystone in expressionist theater, etc etc. I, personally, don't really like it because Im not a fan of that genre. If you don't know the premise, here it is in a nutshell: two men sit everyday by the same tree. the dialogue repeats (often!) as follows.
"can we go??"
"no"
"why not?"
"because we're waiting for Godot"
"oh right"
Every day, a messenger comes saying that he has a message from Mr Godot. He could not make it today, but will certainly arrive tomorrow. So the two continue to wait, every day, and Godot never comes. There are many theories about the symbolism behind this idea of stasis - the most obvious one being "Godot" as in "God." Oooh, religious controversy. But every human can certainly understand the sentiment of waiting for something to happen that never actually does.

I was thinking the other day how similar that whole situation is to girls, in the way they wait for guys to call. We always wait, believing they will call, and they never do. Boy after boy promises to call, we wait, they don't. And yet we don't realize that we are being absurd. Clearly, they will not call. Clearly, we should move on. Now, I am NOT the kind of girl who waits by a phone. i will invent things to do just to avoid this. But on such occassions, I absolutley admit to checking my phone way more than usual, making sure the ringer is on, etc.

And yes, occassionally they DO call and all is well with the world. This prolly happens more often than not, but it is ever so much easier to remember the bad, isn't it?

urgh. I hate that I just related to absurdist drama. I also hate that I turned a "great" play (even if I don't like it, I certainly respect it) into some teenage girl craziness. But it would be a funny idea to create a "Clueless" type Waiting for Godot. hehehe. funny image

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home