Cosmo
Warning: deep confession.
I read Cosmo sometimes (gasp!)!!!!! Formerly, I made fun of the magazine and all those who read it. I stand by my belief that it is a dumb magazine full of useless information and anti-feminist ideas (ie endless articles entitled "How to Please Your Man") disguised as feminism. Still, it is quite entertaining and I will not be ashamed to hold it as a vice of mine. This month, there was a page dedicated to the titles that GUYS wanted to see for articles. It was hilarious!! Examples:
"Engagement Ring Trend: Glass Looks Better Than Diamonds!"
"Team Bathroom Breakthrough: research reveals it may be safe for women to go alone"
"Why Sex is as Good as an Apology"
"Leaving the Seat Up - 12 Secret Ways Guys Show They're Committed"
...and my personal favorite....
"Wanna Know How to Look Hot Naked? Take Your Clothes Off!"
The last one brings up an interesting point. Do guys actually care what girls look like? Many say no. They believe a guy will screw anything with a vagina. Many say YES. They believe guys are the reason for eating disorders, poor body image, and obsession with appearance. Scientifically speaking, men are most attracted to women based on their physical appearance (women are most attracted to men based on how they smell, actually). Still, there is evidence to support both sides
Exhibit A: I was watching a show and a geeky, unattractive, brainiac guy (a biomedical science/mechanical engineering double major) was being interviewed by the host of a stupid show. He asked the geek, "which celebrity would you most like to date?" The brainiac answered "Paris Hilton." How much dumber can you get? It's not like I expected him to answer "Condoleeza Rice," but COME ON! Wouldn't intelligence matter at least a little to someone who obviously values education? Sadly, many men who should be "deeper" than that answer the same way
Exhibit B: On talk shows, it never ceases to amaze me when the fattest, ugliest, stupidest people in the world come on, crying because they cheated on their significant other with a hundred people. All I'm thinking is, 'who would sleep with YOU?' Apparently, lots of men do.
These exhibits WERE based on television, but the examples exist in reality as well. We all know how shallow guys can be sometimes. But we also know that even ugly girls find fabulous guys sometimes. Are guys attracted to every naked girl or does she have to look like a supermodel to catch their real attention? My best friend is a guy, so you would think I would have the inside scoop, but I don't. So I was just wondering who was right.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home