I'm the not-yet-famous coolest person you know

Monday, January 10, 2005

Being Liberal

I love church. I really do. Most people, even people who claim to love it, actually hate it. But I find it peaceful and beautiful and soul-soothing. It's just a really safe place where you know you're in the presence of God. It's the kind of thing where if the world was coming to an end or Satan was incarnating himself, nothing could harm you there. It's like being a child and climbing into your parents bed after having a nightmare. You aren't necessarily any safer because the danger was in your head, which travels with you, but you just feel much better. Your parents were always close enough, but when you are right there next to them, the scary monsters don't dare show themselves. That's church. Who could not love it??

Still, after church today I had a VERY hilarious conversation with a religious wacko, AKA the mother of a life long friend of mine. She has always tried to have a hand in raising me, pushing her wacko holier-than-thou attitudes on me to no avail. Here's how the conversation went:
S: Are you one of the few conservatives there [at UNC]?
L: (laughs) NO! I'm a liberal
S: You...weh...uh...not in your thinking, right?, just in your...
L: (laughs harder) No, in my thinking, in my everything. I'm in drama. We're all liberal democrats - what do you expect??
S: We're going to have to have a conversation about this sometime
L: (haughtily) I look forward to it
(thinking in my head) We're going to have to have a conversation sometime about your husband's goatie. Yeesh!

I'm not a democrat - I'm an independent. I find that neither party really matches my values. I said that to piss her off because I love to make her mad. But I am a liberal and I DO NOT think that that in any way conflicts with my Christianity. Jesus was a liberal. He had a lot of radical new ideas about doing away with antedilurian Jewish laws and tolerating societal low-lifes. And people also need to understand the idea of separation of church and state. C'mon- it's the defining factor of our society. Even still, I know that statistically speaking some of my views have to be wrong. It's just the law of averages. So I tolerate all opinions and try not to force my views down anyone's throat. Other people do not have the same respect for me. Poop on you!

In other news - it's back to school tomorrow and I couldn't be more excited!!!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home